Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Who do you trust?

Since my last post I spent a couple of hours reviewing my notes and reading about the patent fees on the US Patent Office website. http://www.uspto.gov/
The process of getting a patent is not only daunting but expensive too. The steps that have to be followed, the people that need to get involved (lawyer, agent, etc.) as well as the fee structure (application fee, issuance fee, and maintenance fees); no wonder there are so many companies out there to make a quick buck off of unsuspecting people.
Who do you trust?
In my gmail account home page I had an advertisement for a Patent Lawyer/agent that was placed there by Google. Placed there by the Google Machine (crawlers, algorithms, see earlier post http://thislittleideawenttomarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/crawlers-are-everywhere.html ) that had identified that I am interested in patents and inventions. I clicked on the advertisement and did a search of the lawyers name with “complaint” in the search engine (used Google) and low and behold this lawyer has already had over 29 complaints (and counting) ruled against him by the patent office. Things like charging outrageous fees, signing powers of attorney for the clients, and misrepresentation. Thanks Google for leading me in the wrong direction, I guess all is ok as long as the lawyer’s check clears the Google bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment